One of the main reasons for the popularity of Roulette is the fact that there are so many different betting options. If you fancy a high risk, high reward game, you can play Roulette. Likewise, if you prefer to play it safe, you can also play Roulette. There are different betting options for all types of players, and depending on how you like to bet, some may be better than others.
We’ve put together this short explanation of the different types of bets and the payouts of each.
What is inside and outside bets?
Roulette tables have a series of betting options inside and outside the specific numbers on the wheel. When you got to a land-based casino, the Roulette table is next to the wheel, and you can place your chips down on the table for each bet you want to make. With online Roulette, simply select your bet from the provided options and choose your stake.
Inside bets refer to any type of bet relating to the specific numbers or groups of numbers. These are higher risk bets but with higher risk comes bigger payouts. Inside bets include the following:
- Straight number – This is where you choose a particular number on the wheel. Odds are 35 to 1. So for instance, if you picked the number 10 and bet $10, you’d win $350 if the ball lands on 10. All numbers have equal odds and equal chance of winning.
- Split bet – This bet allows you to bet on any two adjacent numbers on the wheel. If either number comes up, you win. For example, you might choose 1|2. The odds for this are 17 to 1. So if you bet $10 on 1|2 and the ball lands on 2, you’ll win $170.
- Street bet – A street bet covers a row of three numbers. You choose a row of adjacent numbers to bet on, and if the ball lands on any in the row, you’ll win. This bet pays out 11 to 1. So a bet of $10 will make you $110 if you win.
- Corner bet – A corner bet is a bet that the ball will land on one of four numbers. The numbers need to touch each other in a square on the Roulette table. This bet pays out 8 to 1, betting $10 will give you $80 if the ball lands on any of your numbers.
- Line bet – Similar to the street bet, only instead of a three-number row, you’re betting on two rows, six numbers in total. They have to be consecutive rows on the Roulette table. Sometimes known as six number bets, these payout 5 to 1.
- Five-number bet – The five-number bet has the highest house edge of any Roulette bet at 7.9%. It’s a bet on the first five numbers on the Roulette table and pays out 6 to 1. If you bet $10, you’ll win back $60 if any of the numbers land.
Outside bets are located at the outside of the Roulette table. These are typically safer bets and allow you to bet on large numbers of groups. All of these bets lose if the ball lands on 0 or 00. They include the following:
- Red or Black – This is betting on whether a red or black number will win. If you look at the Roulette wheel, you’ll see that all the numbers have a color of either red, black or green. The 0 and 00 are the only green numbers. All others are either red or black. This bet is an even money bet, giving you your stake 1x if you win. The presence of the 0 and 00 mean it’s not a 50/50 bet though. If you bet $10 on black and the ball lands on black, you’ll win $10.
- Odds or Evens – Another even money bet, you’ll bet on whether the ball will land on an odd number or an even number. Again, if the ball lands on 0 or 00, you’ll lose, even if you picked evens.
- High or Low – This is a bet on whether the ball will land on low numbers (1-18) or high numbers (19-36). This is another even money bet. A win from $10 will win you $10.
- Columns – The Roulette table can be split into three vertical columns. This is a bet that the ball will land on any of the twelve numbers from your chosen column. Each column pays out at odds of 2 to 1, doubling your stake if you land a win.
- Dozens – This bet also covers twelve numbers, but this time in consecutive order. So you can choose the first twelve with numbers of 1-12, the second twelve from 13-24 or the third from 25-36. Odds are also 2 to 1, giving you $20 if you bet $10 and win.
Other types of bets
Some special types of Roulette, including French Roulette, may feature some other betting types. These can include the following:
- Voisons du zero – This is French for neighbors of zero. In other words, this bet is for the seventeen numbers that lie on each side of the number zero on the wheel. The bet is split nine ways, with five splits and a double on both a trio and corner bet.
- Jeu zero – Known as zero games. Similar to voisons du zero, this involves the numbers closest to the number zero but will be placed differently. The bet is split into four parts and placed on three splits and one straight bet.
- Tiers du cylindre -The third of the wheel. This bet covers twelve numbers across six splits in roughly a third of the Roulette wheel.
- Orphelins – These are the orphans, the eight numbers which aren’t included in either the tiers or voisons Your bet is split five ways between four splits and one straight bet.
- Neighbours – Neighbour bets are when you choose a number to place a straight bet and also place bets on the two adjacent numbers on each side.
- Final bets – A final bet is a bet placed on all numbers with the same final digit. For example, if you place a final bet on zeros, all numbers ending in zero will have a straight bet placed on them. For most numbers, this is four individual bets. For seven and nine, it’s just three.